Monday, January 19, 2009

Mauritius - a paradise island...


For my first post I'll talk a bit about Mauritius. For the 3 years that I stayed in Singapore, I realised many people do not know about Mauritius. When some confuse it with Malaysia, I got a strange response once - which part of India is it found!!! seriously this cannot be true...Ok it's time to explain a bit...

Mark Twain once quoted "From one citizen you gather the idea that Mauritius was made first, and then heaven; and that heaven was copied after Mauritius"

Mauritius is a volcanic island in the Indian Ocean, it is known for its beautiful beaches. It is a multiracial country where Asians, Europeans and Africans blend together.
  • Population: 1.3 million (UN, 2008)
  • Capital and largest city: Port Louis
  • Area: 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
  • Major languages: English, French (both official), Creole, Indian languages
  • Major religions: Hinduism, Christianity, Islam.
Mauritius was uninhabited when the Dutch took possession in 1598. Abandoned in 1710, it was taken over by the French in 1715 and seized by the British in 1810. In 1968, Mauritius got its Independance.

The island of Mauritius is renowned for having been the only known home of the
dodo.

The sega is the local dance, I'll elaborate on this dance in my later posts...





8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Yuvraj! This is very informative, and timely: you get the award this term for making the first class post!

    I'm also convinced that I need to visit your country! (In fact, I've often spied it on world maps, and thought it would be inviting!)

    I look forward to reading your writing this term (and I always appreciate it if students have a chance to comment on my blog as well...)

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Yuvraj!

    Am I the only one in class who has heard about Mauritius!? Other than Mr. Blackstone that is.

    I haven't been to Mauritius, but from what I heard, it's amazing! My brother tells me that he wants to work there one day (he is in the hotel industry).

    Question though, is it true that the government of Mauritius bought a huge land in Australia, just in case that the island sinks one day? I heard that the island is getting smaller by the day due to rising sea levels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are confusing Mauritius with Maldives, these are two different islands though both are in the Indian Ocean...Mauritius is not affected by the rising sea levels...

    Actually the hotel industry is a booming one since many tourists visits it nowadays and many expatriates work at the top management levels in these hotels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so envious of your country's people to land ratio. As I already told you in class, Mauritius is now added to my "Bucket List". For the fun of it, maybe you could post something about Singapore?
    Something like this
    http://www.thestrand.ca/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=ced6c109-245c-4ada-bba0-2236d67cedda
    but maybe just now as politically incorrect and long!
    P.S. The URL didn't come out as a direct link but just copy and paste. It's the most entertaining article I read written by an NUS exchange student.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mauritius seems like a relaxing place to me. Is there any high rise commerical area in maritius? what are some of the daily activities mauritius citizens participate? I really hope to visit this beautiful island one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I made a typing error.

    "but maybe just now as politically incorrect and long!" should be maybe just NOT as politcally incorrect and long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you guys for your comments...

    Annie: I read about the article and I will try to work out on something like this to share the experiences I encountered in singapore...

    Terry: Mauritius is indeed a place to chill out. There are not many high rise commercial buildings since plenty of space is available. People indulge in businesses, there is agriculture and fishing. As for me, I live 5 minutes from the seaside, and whenever I go back, I hang out with friends near the seaside, drinking beer, fishing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Idyllic! I will be visiting!

    By the way, I have a friend visiting me now, and she spent a month in Mauritius and loved every minute of the time.

    ReplyDelete