Monday, April 13, 2009

Goodbye, Au Revoir, Sayonara...

It is always sad to say goodbye but this is life and we must continue on our journey...

I never used to blog before even though I have read lots of blogs concerning soccer and formula 1 reviews as well as blogs of movie stars. I was always hesitant to blog because I did not want the entire world to know what is happening in my life. However, upon writing some posts in the ES2007S module, I must say that blogging is cool. It is a good way to interact with other people. I realise that this a good way to keep in touch with friends that I seldom meet due to the hectic schedule. It can lead to discussions on topics that are sometimes controversial and people find awkward to discuss freely in person.

Compared to my other modules for NUS where you only study to get good grades and later you do not remember half of the syllabus, ES2007S is definitely not one of them. I feel that most of the stuffs I have learned in this module will benefit me for the rest of my career. From now on, I practice active listening to avoid any misunderstandings that may arise. I have also learned a lot about the non-verbal aspects of communication and how this affects our way of communicating. In this globalised world, we have to interact with people of different racial background and the way how to do so is vital to avoid any form of conflicts. This is the part that I am really interested in this module. I do not think I have mastered the adoption of the 7Cs in our writing process, but I will definitely learn more about it in the future and try to avoid silly mistakes. The way the job interview was conducted in the class was very good as our mistakes were highlighted.

On a conclusive note, I must say this module has helped me to improve my communication skills. I will definitely miss this class when I graduate this semester. I would like to thank Terry for being a great blogging buddy and for highlighting a lot of my mistakes.Hat’s off to Brad who has been an awesome teacher. Hope you continue with the great job you are doing.

God Bless,
Yuvraj

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Yuvraj, for this detailed reflection. I'm glad that the blogging struck a harmonious chord for you and that you were able to throw yourself into it with such passion. You mention that active listening, nonverbal and intercultural (interracial?) communication especially resonate with you, and that's good. Certainly in your future career, skills related to those areas will be important. It's satisfying to me to know that this module could be of service to you.

    I appreciate all your hard work this term and the insights you've offered us during the class and on your blog.

    All the best on your path! (Maybe we will meet in Mauritius one day!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Yuvraj,
    Thanks a lot for being such a caring blogging buddy who conscientiously vets through my blog posts and always gives me encouraging suggestions for each of my blog post. During my first encounter with you in class, I was quite surprised that you were from Mauritius. ( I have not met anyone from Mauritius at NUS before)
    From the different activities in class, I feel that you were really friendly and helpful to me. For instance, you pointed out all my weaknesses that I projected during the mock interview.In addition, you provided me with tips on how to work on my interview.

    From this and other blog post, I can tell that you really enjoy this module very much. I really hope that you can clinch the LTA job with the skills that you learn in this job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Yuvraj,

    This comment came late but as I always believed, better late than NEVER! Thanks for being a great project partner. As Terry have mentioned, you are the first person I ever met from Mauritius.

    You are a very friendly person and have a great sense of humor. From our conversations, I see you work hard and play hard! Happy working in Singapore and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your valuable comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yuvraj,
    It has been a pleasure to meet you. We have a really fun time during lessons and you always exhibit this characteristic of the “strong and silent". Of course, you are not "silent" in class and engaged in class discussion readily. However, that is the kind of feeling you give me.
    Wish you good luck in job finding and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey bro,

    This class would be different without you. That's for sure! I strongly agree that the lessons we learnt from this course would benefit us for he rest of our lives. This course builds a real skill that would impact every area and any field we choose to work in the future. It's nice to note that you also gained an insight into your own communication skills and how to improve them, same as me.

    Cheers bro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey man!

    I just realized that I have never commented on your blog before! Other than your very first introductory post that is!

    Anyway, YES the "Silent but Strong" man of our class! It was fun having you around class. When will you invite us to your home country? Haha

    This module is very practical, and it is able to help students from all walks of life, be it in academics, work, or personal life.

    You're applying for a job in LTA? Does that mean you're taking up PR status? Well, as much as you want to search for a successful career, do remember those at home =) Working so far away from home must make you home sick huh? My hometown is only 5 hours away and I'm already missing it! =(

    All the best in your future, and keep in touch =)

    ReplyDelete