Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My Oral Presentation

Overall, I was satisfied with the presentation given our time limit. I must say doing the report as well as presentation by 2 person was quite tough. We put in a lot of effort in producing a nice work.

I was quite sad because I think most of class could not understand the contrast I was making between the Senoko Power Plant and the Senoko Incinerator in my introduction. I should have explained it in a clearer way as I believe that the comparison was important to explain the high amount of wastes in Singapore.

I do not know if others have encountered the same problem as me. Being the first speaker, I was quite disturbed whenever someone was opening the door to come in as they were late. I lost concentration but appreciated the fact that the latecomers were making an effort to be as quiet as possible.

I always have a tendency a move a lot during conducting a presentation. I tried to minimize it this time, but I do not know to what extent I was successful. In the my last slide, where it shows the old man riding a bicycle in Singapore, I could not explain it properly in respect to our context.

I think there were some times when I paused and tried to look at my notes. Maybe I should have practiced more.

Lastly I would like to say that the slides could have been improved. I did not have my laptop for the week-end as it crashed on Friday and I had to send it for repairs. Even though, I would like to thank Annie for doing the whole compilation.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Yuvraj,
    I felt that you started off really well with the formal welcome greeting to your target audiences. Indeed, I was quite puzzled with your examples on the Senoko power plant and the picture of an old man transporting a pile of newspaper. Maybe, you could explain the reasons for introducing those two examples in your presentation. However, i did feel that you were compose and comfortable throughout your presentation. Besides, your presentation slides were nicely done with well clear figures and graphs. All your slides were well organised and perfectly explained the recommendations that your group was suggesting. Contrary to what you did in your previous presentation, I did not notice any unnecessary movement from you. On the whole, you and annie did manage to convince me "to reduce and reuse " with your group excellent presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yuvraj,

    I agree with you that the contrast you have made about the Senoko Power Plant and Incinerator should be explained clearer. I understand you are shocked that the Incinerator actually produces more pollutant than the Power Plant, but it does not link to what you are presenting very well. Maybe you can consider having more explanations like "producing more waste actually harm the environment more and we should reduce our wastes using the 3Rs or something like that".

    I also noticed you were easily distracted when people were coming in late. I guess we really need to focus and go on even when we are in the middle of a storm.

    You have made clear transition from your part to Annie's. Nice work done here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Yuvraj,

    Yeah, the uncle pic and senoko plant story sounded so great when we discussed it. It fell flat in the end, along with my screenshot from www.storyofstuff.com... In this module, I learnt that what is clear to you might not be clear to others.

    But the key thing is WE SURVIVED!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you two did a very good job presenting, Yuvraj. The info that you selected and the way you organized that info was well done. Yiur slides were well crafted. Individually, you and Annie did fine with your verbals and nonverbals. Don't be so harsh on yourself.

    I'll give more specific feedback in a mail message. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Yuvraj,

    i think your presentation was great! You were professional in the way you spoke and you relied very little on your notes, which is very admirable. Only that you could have stood a bit closer to the audience so that there will be more engagement with the audience, instead of standing behind the table, which seemed a bit far away.:) But your voice projection was good, so it didn't pose much of a problem. You and Annie indeed set a very high standard for the rest of us!:)

    ReplyDelete