Monday, March 23, 2009

Biodata

My name is Aurisinkala Appadoo Yuvraj. I’m a final year student from the National University of Singapore, majoring in Bachelor of Engineering Mechanical Engineering. I will be graduating in May 2009. Last year, in January till July, I went on Student Exchange Programme (SEP) in France at the Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon (INSA Lyon) where I was in the Mechanical Engineering Development Department. The modules that I took in NUS and INSA Lyon has developed my technical skills in this field of study and helped me acquire critical way of thinking.

Besides the heavy workload at NUS, I was actively involved in curricular activities. I was one of the founding members of the Mauritian Students’ Group at NUS (MSG NUS). Furthermore, I held the position of Vice-Chairperson which equipped me with organisational and leadership skills. Moreover, I was the Project Director of events organised by the MSG NUS, where I had to look for sponsors and liaised with Mauritian Consulate in Singapore. This precious experience has helped me acquired negotiation skills as well as interaction with people. Due to my background, I am fluent in written and spoken French. I can also speak Creole, a dialect in Mauritius and understand Hindi. In addition to this, I did an Internship in an Engineering firm in Mauritius and worked in the Hotel Industry where I dealt with a lot of people. This enhanced my interpersonal and communication skills.
I enjoy travelling as I have been to various regions in France, London and around South-East Asia. I have wide range of interests which include soccer, swimming, playing table-tennis, fishing and reading magazines.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yuvraj, ( can you delete my first comment? There are some amendments I wish to make.)
    Having read many of our classmates' post, I found that you are the first person (as far as I have read) who did not use a third person perspective to address your Biodata. I wonder whether that will be fine.

    Anyway, I goggled for the "purpose of Biodata" and realized that it should contain personal information about yourself which may include your height and weight. More importantly, the main point for doing Biodata is to portray and uplift yourself as a probable employee. I suppose your Biodata should use a third person viewpoint to make it sound more professional.

    Here is the website I have consulted.You may take a look.
    http://www.chrmglobal.com/Articles/413/1/Biodata-R-sum--Curriculum-Vitae--The-Real-Difference.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Yuvraj, for the post. I think it's clear, concise and perfectly "professional enough." (Using third person is an option but certainly not mandatory.) There are a few language issues here though:

    1) The modules that I took in NUS and INSA Lyon has (HAVE) developed....

    2) ...I held the position of Vice-Chairperson(,) which equipped me....

    3) ...at the Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon (INSA Lyon) (,) where I was....

    As a rule, adjective clauses of the "which/where" type will be set apart in commas when the info is not absolutely needed in as far as one's understanding of the main clause.

    For example: The town where I was born, which is in north Texas, was at one time famous for its massive air force base.

    Do you see how the first adj clause -- where I was born -- is vital to understanding WHICH town was famous for its base. The other clause -- which in in north Texas -- is extra

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. Sorry for my own punctuation issues. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yuvraj,

    Thanks for sharing!

    The overall format of your biodata is good, except that I think it would be better if you could have a line spacing between the 2nd and 3rd paragraph (just like the one between the 1st and 2nd).

    One cent worth: Is the transition too fast in the 1st paragraph? You were talking about your course of study then very quickly, it was linked to your SEP.. maybe can mention something more general related to yourself before going into what you have done etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Yuraj,
    I remember that you are applying for an engineering job at LTA. One of the job requirement is to be able to liase with contractors. From your description of CCA involvements in Paragraph two, I feel that you do exhibit great leadership and management skills. In addition, your linguistic capabilities in Frence and Hindi may be useful in your job application. I am quite envious that you have the chance to tour France. During my SEP, I didnt have the time to travel to France. Maybe, you can share with me your travelling experience there.

    Lastly, I wish you good luck in your Job application to LTA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Everyone and Thanks for your valuable comments.
    I was a bit inactive during these two weeks due to FYP submission, but now back in business.

    Gillian: I guess Brad replied your question about the third party viewpoint, nice web link btw...

    Brad: Sorry for my mistakes, will definitely correct them and make sure not to repeat them in the future.

    ZQ: I read your latest post, nice one, hope there will be more interaction for your post. Concerning the transition of my course of study and the SEP is because I think that my SEP has been part of my study. Even though, I learnt a lot experiences, the main focus is still the 6 months of study abroad.

    Terry: Yeah sure, you need to visit France, it has a lot of history and culture associated to it. I feel it is the country where the people are the most courteous. Every time you encounter someone you even do not know, for example at the grocery store, they will always say 'Bonjour/Bonsoir', which means 'Good Morning/Good Evening'.

    ReplyDelete